Saturday, June 11, 2011

Trevor Bayne will get back to racing next week

All right, enough with the Kyle Busch speeding nonsense and the is-she-or-isn't-she Danica Patrick stories. Let's focus on some good news: Trevor Bayne is getting back into a car after a long illness-related layoff.

Bayne's Daytona 500 win was one of the best stories in years, a kid from out of nowhere snagging NASCAR's greatest prize. But just as quickly, things turned sour for Bayne, who had trouble on the track and got extremely, hospital-level sick off it.

Doctors have not completely diagnosed what went wrong with Bayne, but he believes that supreme exhaustion brought on by the Daytona 500 festivities caused his problems, which included double vision and inflammation.

"I went to the hospital and had the best doctors in the world at the Mayo Clinic checking me out and they don't know," he said. "That is all it is. I have had to accept that. They treated me for things that they thought it could be, just like that bite, whether it was Lyme or not, they don't have any evidence of that, but they treated it just to knock it out, and since then all my symptoms have gone away. Everything is pretty much 100 percent back to normal and that is pretty exciting."

Bayne's enthusiasm, as you can see in the video above, is ... well, we would say "infectious," but that's probably not the best word to use in this context. No, he's legitimately excited to be back in the garage, and even talking to the media, which other drivers look forward to about as much as a trip to the dentist. Still, Bayne has reason to be glad; he realized the generosity of his fellow drivers and garage members:

"Carl Edwards flew up and saw me in Minnesota, and Tony Stewart was using his plane to fly my family back and forth," he said. "Jack [Roush] was sending me back and forth on his plane and these guys come out and hang out for the night. Michael McDowell is there for five days with me. Everybody in the garage texted me at least once to see how I was doing and that means a lot to me."

Bayne has been testing for the last few weeks, and will return to action in the Nationwide series in Chicago. Good thing, too; NASCAR could use a little more of his type right about now.

Karolína Kurková Laura Harring Naomi Watts Leonor Varela Joanne Montanez

No comments:

Post a Comment