Thursday, December 30, 2010

Humbled Vera learned you can't trash talk in the Octagon

Brandon Vera has never lacked for confidence. In fact, when the media and fans would question his lack of aggression is some fights, Vera would fire back defiantly. But it was clear, he wasn't the same fighter who shot up the charts in 2005 and 2006. It took a major wake-up call to finally shake up Vera.

The 33-year-old quickly rose to the top of the heavyweight division with wins at Ultimate Fight Night 2 and UFC 57, 60 and 65. He eventually met his match against the massive Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum at heavyweight. Then two years later he took hotshot Jon Jones too lightly.

"I for sure, did not give Mr. Jones the respect he deserved and that's my fault," Vera during the UFC 125 prefight press conference (24:50 mark).

Vera (11-5) lost his concentration at the worst time. 

"When I was underneath him, I'm remember being off in my own world while he was throwing elbows and missing. I was holding his wrist and thinking 'geez man, all the hype was about you ... this is what you have to offer on the ground, really?' I remember I said 'you f'n suck,' but before I said the word suck, the elbow came down on my face and smashed my face."

The Jones' elbow broke Vera's cheekbone. MMA can be incredibly dangerous if you don't defend yourself properly. The Filipino-American paid the price and was sidelined for seven months. 

"That's when I realized right then and there, 'That's what you get you bastard. That's what you get for thinking you're so ahead of the game.'"

For Vera, who is just 3-3 since dropping to light heavyweight, the success in his late-20's came too fast. 

"Honestly [it was] my arrogance. The fights seemed easy. I was in there training hard, training hard [then] I go in there and knock someone out real quick. Train hard, train hard then knock somebody else out real quick," said Vera [20:58 mark]. "My arrogance caught up to me. My head got real big and somebody needed to pop it. Too bad they had to pop my face for it to pop, but it's popped. I'm back. My head's level and I'm ready to go."

Vera better be right-minded. He's got a tough test at UFC 125 in aggressive striker Thiago Silva and frankly his job may be on thin ice if he loses a third straight fight.

Rachel McAdams Kristin Cavallari Brittany Murphy Britney Spears Amanda Swisten

No comments:

Post a Comment